In the 1920's The Lyda Movie House stood in the
middle of the 300 block in downtown Grand Island. Business at the
Lyda had suffered from the competition of the Capitol Theatre and
the Island Theatre. The theatre had become run-down and was still
showing silent films when all the other theatres in town had made
the switch to sound.